Monday, May 14

Ten Ways Personal Finance Blogging has Helped Me

Lazy Man and Money suggested this topic and it called out to me, so I have compiled my list. Hope you enjoy it!

Ten Ways Personal Finance Blogging has Helped Me

  1. It is a call to action – I feel like if I procrastinate too much on taking some financial step I will be letting my readers down.
  2. There is a sense of community – there have been times when the words of encouragement from readers and other bloggers have put a smile on my face when things aren’t going right.
  3. I am building a history – my blog is close to reaching its 100th post and I find it very interesting to look back at previous months to see where my interests have been.
  4. I am learning from other bloggers – reading other blogs regularly is like a free personal library, and often brings up points that I haven’t thought of.
  5. I love the feedback on my posts – the comments that are left on the topics that I am writing about have been supportive, humourous, insightful and expansive.
  6. I am understanding myself better – daily writing serves to clarify my thoughts on many topics and helps me to learn how I think and react.
  7. There is a sense of accomplishment – I have had to be committed, remain focused and continue to strike out in new directions. Meeting these challenges is a thrill in itself.
  8. It has opened up new horizons – before I started blogging, there were many areas that I was unaware of. By participating in the blogosphere I have become aware of opportunities and options that are completely new to me.
  9. It is a creative outlet – I am stretched an challenged by the act of communicating my thoughts in such a way that it is meaningful to myself and others. This leads to creative and lateral thinking and I believe that I am stimulating my brain more.
  10. It has led to better financial habits – I have organized my accounts better, consolidated a lot of information in a single place, instituted better tracking and paid more attention to my personal finances than ever before.

I must add that I am very glad that I started personal finance blogging. I think it has been a very positive thing for me to do!

5 comments:

GIV said...

Considering you're the kind of person for whom "impulse buy" refers to shares in BMO, I'd say you had pretty good financial habits to begin with... :)

But this is as good a list as any I've seen about the advantages of personal finance blogging

MG (moneygardener) said...

I concur with many of your points.

Promod said...

That's a great list, MD. How do you find time for daily posts with a day job ;)

I'm amazed at how introspective and articulate bloggers are.

What about the ways that blogging hurts you? My list would include the lack of comments after a post I think is particularly good :(

the money diva said...

Thanks all! I really like this list and I'm glad other agree.

I think I might skip the hurting post though, promod... we all feel the pain sometimes but I'm not sure I want to scare any prospective bloggers off that way!

MD:)

CanadianInvestor said...

I enjoyed this post. I've certainly found the main benefit is that I am learning a lot since being public imposes the discipline to explain and justify.

Blogging means I can do what I want, when I want, addressing topics that mainstream financial journalists may ignore.

Reading other blogs inevitably gives me plenty of ideas what to write about or research further for myself.

I believe that there is also an unstated friendly competition among bloggers to do the best job that I think pays off for both bloggers and readers.