Sunday, March 18

The Financial Value of Having Friends

Well it wasn't a barn raising, but when my friends came over today they certainly helped me out. By the time they left there were two shelving/storage units installed and a large item moved from my house to the garage. Not rocket science but all things I can't do by myself. And without friends or family I would have to pay for help.

Boston Gal had a recent post about the underground economy and how it helps the urban poor survive. The articles she found talk about the sense of community and responsibility that goes with these arrangements.

I think that no matter who you are, there is benefit to having friends. It can save you money, put a few extra dollars in your pocket or just make life a whole lot easier. In friendships it all goes around and comes around, which is how economics works too. And though that's not why we have friends nowadays, it is certainly one of the reasons that people had to get along with their neighbours in times past.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go fill my new shelves....

1 comments:

Canadian Money said...

Another place where friends can be very valuable is at the workplace.